A few weeks ago, Alli, my daughter, and I were shopping at Target and she asked to go to the Halloween section to get a costume for Halloween. I said no. "But why, Mom? I can't fit into my costume from last year!"
My reply, "You're in high school now. Freaks and Geeks, Alli. Freaks and Geeks."

Alli and I started watching
Freaks and Geeks, a short-lived 90's sitcom staring James Franco, Jason Segal, and Seth Rogan, during the summer. One episode in particular dealt with the awkwardness of trick or treating after you started high school (Not saying that you should watch it because of some questionable content; you should ask your parent's permission, but it's a good episode). In the episode things went for bad to worse for the 9th-grade trick or treaters with people not wanting to give them candy because they were too old, to getting their candy stolen by some Sophomore bullies, to one kid getting egged by his sister, accidentally, of course.
After I stated my Freaks and Geeks ruling, Alli and Aiden decided on a new tradition for Halloween. Halloween Night, we will be grabbing a bag of candy each from Williams, finding a scary movie, or Hocus Pocus, popping some popcorn and ordering pizza, and staying in. We may be tired in the morning, but we are willing to try something new now that we're growing up.
This is your last kid-filled Halloween. What are you going to do to make it memorable? What will you do next year? Will you start a new tradition or test the Freaks and Geeks theory? It's up to you.
Comments
Post a Comment