Redo!

Maybe it's the snob in me, but I hate when the film industry tries to recreate amazing, one-of-a-kind movies. I honestly feel like if something was amazing the first time, you don't need to change it. There are those in the world that would disagree and say that many times the film industry is just revamping the film for a younger generation, but I think that regardless of the generation gap, if a story needs to be told, it doesn't matter what time period it's being told from, the message will come through.
In the film industry, it is my belief that there are certain movies that should remain untouched. The first one is It's a Wonderful Life, followed quickly by To Kill a Mockingbird. Both of those films are timeless and could never be told better than the original production. Another film that should forever remain untouched is Pretty Woman. The chemistry that the two lead actors have could never be reproduced. Casablanca could never be duplicated, as well as Dirty Dancing. And while I still have many other favorites, to wrap this up, The Breakfast Club, is another all-time favorite that should stay in its original form, even though there have been rumors of a remake.
Now, as condensending as it may sound, there a one or two movies that have been remade that have might actually be better than their original screening productions. One film in particular is DiCaprio's version of Romeo and Juliet. I can see where the updated version of this movie was done well and did indeed help a younger generation connect with 1400's literature. However, I truly cannot think of another movie where the newer version was better than the original.


So, where do you weigh in on redos? Are there any movies that you think needs an updated version, or do you think that all greats should be left alone? What is your favorite movie that you would be heartbroken to see being make into a new version?

Comments

Popular Posts